Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Bullied

When I was a kid, I never stood up for myself. There were many instances where I would be teased, or threatened and I would do absolutely nothing to prevent it. I don't know what was going through my mind, but I have never been in a fight, and never once did I yell back at someone or beat up someone in self defense.

I remember one morning in 6th grade I got on the bus at my bus stop to find all the seats taken. There were literally three kids in every seat except for the occasional overweight child who could only fit with one other kid. And if they were real big, they could only fit themselves. What I would have given to have been one of those real fat ones.

Now, back in middle school, I was around 5 feet tall, and husky. I call it husky because those were the style of pants that I wore. That one morning I was feeling perfectly fine. Not happy, not sad, just fine. As I walked down the long isle looking desperately for a seat before the bus started to move sending me to the floor. I spotted a bench with two fairly skinny black kids in them. Their bench had the most amount of extra room on it, and I figured I would be able to squeeze in without much trouble. I was wrong. "Can I sit here?" "Fuck no." "Come on. There aren't any seats left." "Go find another seat bitch." I gave the sea of pre-teens another scanning. Nothing. The only place where I would have any space to sit was right there with the two skinny kids. So, I sat down.

"Get the fuck up whitey!" "No. There isn't anywhere else to sit." A few seconds pass, and I figure that they accept the fact that I have nowhere else to go. Right when I think I'm home free, I feel four hands on my side and face. They shove me out of the seat and I hit the floor. Someone yells from the back. "Hey, leave that kid alone. He didn't do nothin'!" "Fuck you!" "No, fuck you!!" I sat on the floor with tears in my eyes until the bus arrived at school.

2 comments:

Dylan Eitharong said...

Go find another seat.

Bitch.

nathan said...

bahaha that's me now... i wish i were muscley and knew i would win a fight so i could do what i want without being afraid of getting beat up. it's a tough predicament.